God, I love the fall.
There’s a lot of amazing things about the fall. The weather allows us to bust our adorable boots out of the back of our closet, rock sweatshirts without looking like you just rolled out of bed, all the amazing colors that break up the monotony of dreary, overcast days, (my birthday!), and, oh, yeah, amazing freaking food.
Today being one of those perfectly chilly days, I decided to make something I’ve never made before, but sounded absolutely wonderful: APPLE CRISP!
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal (I got apple cinnamon flavored to add a little something extra!)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 softened, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 4-5 large apples (depending on size of your pan)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8x8 inch or 9x13 inch glass baking pan
- Apple wedge slicer
- Veggie peeler
- 1 large bowl for apples
- 1 small bowl for crumble mix
Steps for apple-y success!!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel all apples, slice into wedges, then slice the wedges into thin halves. (You will end up with 16 wedges per apple.)
- Place all wedges into a large bowl.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and pour over apple wedges. Set bowl aside.
- Mix flour, white sugar, and brown sugar into a small bowl.
- Add SOFTENED butter to your dry mix and smash until a crumbly consistency and there are no large clumps of butter.
- Butter your glass pan and layer the apples along the bottom of the pan.
- Gently, without disrupting the apples, smooth your crumble mix over top until apples are fully covered.
- Once covered, drizzle melted butter over top.
- Place finished product into the oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Remove and cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
For added yum factor, put apple crisp over vanilla ice cream!